Thursday, June 26, 2008

Insider of a Nail Salon

Here’s a link to a video of what typically happens in a nail salon by Anjelah Johnson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o

My first job was being a manicurist, and it’s still my first job. After I graduated high school I went to nail school for approximately two and a half months. I finished nail school right before I went to college. I took my written and practical exams a month later and obtained a manicuring license.

Everyone thinks that it’s cool that I do nails. All of my friends always want me to give them manicures and pedicures. The most famous question that everyone asks me is… “Do the workers talk shit about the customers?”. I laugh when they ask me this because it is true that we do talk about you, but only sometimes.

Reasons for us to talk about you are:
1) You complain.
2) Your nails are disgusting and smell.
3) You ask to scrub your feet more than we should.
4) You don’t tip.

The majority of workers in nail salons are Vietnamese. The reason why the vast majority of them are Vietnamese is because they can take their written exam in Vietnamese. When they immigrate to America, it’s hard for them to find jobs because they can’t even speak English. So their best option is to do nails for a living.

I enjoy working at a nail salon because it’s good money, and it’s a great part-time job.

Lastly, if you don’t want them talking about you, here’s a tip for all you folks: DON’T do the things listed above!

1 comment:

Christopher Schaberg said...

I like how you use the Youtube video to initiate your personal narrative; that works very well, and this fusion of pop culture and personal experience lets you introduce the practical dimensions of your job that are both commonplace and inflected by longer histories of global migrations.